Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bravery Under Fire

I was sitting, hiding really, behind a tree with bullets made of paint zipping past my head. It was my first adventure in paint-balling. As an old high school administrator, I was in the forest of war with a group of teenagers. My team of soldiers got pinned down in a small grove of trees and the "enemy" was raining down pellets of paint in rapid fire. I was dressed from head to toe in borrowed camouflage and the goggles that covered my bifocals made me look like a cross between Rambo and Mr Magoo.

I remember sitting there not knowing exacting what to do and my mind began to transpose the woods of Ohio to what might have been thirty years earlier if I had been part of the Viet Nam conflict. Would I have been brave or found myself to be a coward? As a college student in the 1970s, I missed the war in Southeast Asia, but several of my friends served and died for our country during these days. I remember not feeling very brave behind the tree as I heard the paint balls snap against the bark of the trunk. Real bullets in a foreign land.... my thoughts brought a wave of fear and anxiety. Only the bullets of paint stinging my arms and chest brought me back to the realities of "capture the flag."

Bravery is a key element in leadership whether in the military, in the corporate world, or in the sphere of the non-profit organization. The challenges of life and the enemies of character exist in every battlefield of life. The experiences of everyday existence present themselves on the stage of warfare. Often the combatants are invisible, yet real; some dressed in ties, yet deadly; others adorned with smiles, yet filled with potent poisons. The temptations that can devastate reputations and integrity are but a decision away and they often present themselves at our weakest moments. My, how bravery is needed in the midst of such turmoil and conflict.

I don't think that bravery is the lack of fear. In fact, the presence of fear is the very factor that allows bravery to be exercised. Bravery is courage despite the fear pounding in one's chest. Facing the giant without fear is stupidity or ignorance....facing the giant with courage and determination, even when victory is not in sight, reflects bravery and character. Helen Keller once said, "We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world."

I am often not a brave warrior, but when I have experienced courage in the midst of trials, I have seen three weapons at work for me: Preparation, Reliance, and Prevention. Being prepared for conflict is such a key ingredient for me. Sometimes I will find myself "beat-up and bleeding" by lunch time only to realize that I had not prepared for the battle. Tge Apostle Paul shares about the spiritual armor available for war in Ephesians 6 (truth, righteousness, faith, and scripture), and yet I often fail to put the armor in place. No wonder I get injured.

I have also found that developing a reliance on others can be a huge assistance to bravery. Figting back-to-back to another kindred spirit can make all the difference in the battle - someone to talk to, confide in, laugh and cry with. Using a fellow soldier as an accountability partner, prayer warrior, and inspirational mentor can be a source bravery.... knowing that you are not alone in the war.

Preventing failure through planning, awareness and sensitivity can also increase one's bravery in the face of trials. So often we have strategic plans for program development, budgeting, and capital improvements, but fail to have a plan for character development and spiritual growth. Being aware of the war that rages around us and a sensitivity to the temptations that will present themselves to us in a given situation, can greatly assist in the prevention of failure. If I have taken the time to successfully think some of these issues through, my courage to face the trial increases.... I have insight into the battle before me.

A healthy fear of the enemies of life can lead to bravery as we prepare for battle, surround ourselves with fellow warriors, and prevent the power of the temptations from surprising us through awareness and planning. Fight the good fight!

2 comments:

  1. This article contains quite a lot of encouraging counsel. I appreciate the way you describe your paintball experience and use the analogy to help paint (no pun intended) a picture of bravery. Then, you quickly and precisely get to the core of godly courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Matt. Because we all face our giants and are engage in battle, we all must experience courage as we work out of salvation with "fear and trembling" - Philippians 2:12.

    ReplyDelete