Sunday, May 2, 2010

Music Man Measures


The last two major songs were upon us. It had been a long day of performance including a matinee and now an evening setting. The crowd was responsive and the cast was singing like it was closing night (and it was). I was tired, but I didn't sense a lack of focus. As an orchestra member, I had played these songs countless times over the past two months of practice. The conductor gave the downbeat and the band played with precision. I played the opening section without error. After four measures of rest, I was to continue playing. I counted my four measures and rest and began to play loudly and aggressively (as the music required), but by some mysterious error I came in a measure early to my embarrassment. I had never made that mistake before! I could have caused a major train wreck in the music, but fortunately none of the rest of the musicians followed my impulsive lead.

The last major song is a beautiful love ballad between the two major characters - soft and romantic. The strings set the mood for this final climatic expression of tenderness. The music begins quietly and then continues to build to a fitting conclusion of the musical's love story. My part was to help build the music toward the dramtic conclusion. Again I counted my rests; I had never blown this transition in any practice session or performance....so with great confidence I played my beautiful melodic line with rich and full volume....one measure too early!! Not again...not two songs in a row. Fortunately, no one else followed my stupidity and I don't think I messed up the vocalists, but the "pit" was not a big enough hole for me to hide in. "Want to get away?" I could have done a commercial on the spot! I was the source of "trouble, right here in River City."

Yes, I have just finished playing in the pit orchestra for a high school presentation of Meredith Wilson's "Music Man." The cast and crew did an exceptional job in performing this classical musical at the Victoria Theater, an historical venue in downtown Dayton, OH . The orchestra, made up of students and adults, provided a rich, full sound and a high quality execution of the score. It was such a privilege to be part of the performances.

Music provides me with so many insights into leadership and followship; and this musical was no exception. There is no better example of team work than a dramatic presentation. Those on stage are supported by a lighting crew, a group of costumers, a stage crew, those in charge of make-up, hairdressers, directors, and, of course, the pit orchestra. Every group must do its job, and do it to perfection, if the performance is to be wonderful. If any group fails to execute, the whole presentation suffers. So it is in any organization.

Each group is a team within the overall team. The orchestra is a team of individual musicians that must listen to one another, play in tune with each other, and follow the direction of the conductor. Although our major role is to provide support to the cast and the musical foundations for their vocal performance, the orchestra takes pride in its instrumental interpretation of the musical score. My stupid mistakes did not just result in my personal embarrassment, but it marred the entire orchestra's effectiveness.

The orchestra is made up of very talented musicians, but to be effective each one must follow the conductor and submit to his tempos and downbeats. In an organization, each member must use his/her talents to play the music of the company. When it comes to your part, play with skill and play in harmony with others. Coming in early and jumping the gun before the rest of the group can cause major organizational disruption (and personal shame). Coming in late can cause similar ineffectiveness. Preparation and precision are real keys in the pit and on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment