Monday, July 18, 2011

Leadership Insights from God's Canyon

I have just returned to Ohio from a four-day hike in the Grand Canyon. It was one of those experiences that escape the capacity to define in words. Five of us hiked from rim to rim, starting on the North Rim and ending up four days later on the top of the South Rim. The night before the hike began the temperature got down to the low 30's. At the end of the second day the temperature reached 120 degrees at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon. Having never been to God's Canyon before I expected it to be barren with rocks, snakes, scorpions, and no water. Instead I was amazed at how beautiful in was, as it painted a portrait of incredible colors. Trees, wild flowers, a crystal-clear creek, and a view that takes your breath away filled every step of the adventure. Most of the wildlife of the canyon stayed away from this bald man, but I did see lots of lizards, mice, squirrels, and birds. A gorgeous deer graced our presence one morning and the California Condors welcomed us to the South Rim (hoping we might die on the assent I'm sure). Although the sun was blazing in the afternoon, it created countless color schemes as it lit up the rock strata in a variety of ways. And the rock came in a palette of color as well - from jet black, to shiny white, to deep red, to every shade of brown one can imagine.

Not only was there a sight to behold continually, but there were so many leadership principles that shouted to me as I hiked this inspiring journey. The first that comes to my mind as I reflect on my four-day adventure is a statement made by Peter Senge in the Fifth Disciple (1990). He stated that, "The journey is the reward." I am confident that we could have made the hike faster - we might have been able to complete the trip in three, maybe even two days, but I am so glad that we did not. Each step of the way was filled with inspiring surroundings. The color, the mountain air, the cool stream, and the walls of the canyon made the hike a glorious experience. I have hiked many miles in the mountains, but this was not as much about the hike as it was the location. The same is so true of leadership. The true reward of leadership is not the final destination or the goal of the organization, but rather the journey itself: the people... the challenge... the change... the transformation of the plan into reality.

Another great leadership concept that became a focus for me in God's Canyon was "don't forget to look where you've been." Jeremy, one of my buddies on the hike, told me before we entered the canyon to be sure to stop often and turn around and look at the view from behind. Wow, was he right.... and I turned around a lot. Some of the most incredible views of the trip came from looking at where I had just hiked. In leadership, some of the most encouraging times occur when the organization pauses and looks back at the progress and improvements over years past. We can't live in the past, nor do we find complacency in the rear mirror view, but we can often find such motivation from a glance over the shoulder. This past year, the organization I am part of dissolved $7+ million in debt. We are not free of financial challenges, but a look backward at the incredible faithfulness of God increases my faith and excites me about the future.

One more leadership insight from God's Canyon and I will sign off for the day. (Because the trip was filled with impressions and ideas, I will most likely post some more canyon thoughts in days ahead). Throughout the hike we passed over a number of bridges. Without these bridges we would have had a difficult if not impossible journey. Connecting one side of the gorge to the other. the bridge allowed us to cross safely to our destination. The bridge over the Colorado River was particularly significant allowing us to begin our assent out of the canyon. To forge the river on our own would have been extremely dangerous (and for this bald, old guy... a fight against death itself). I see the leader as either a bridge or a dangerous river. Some collaborative servant leaders allow the organization to use their authority and position to cross over to greater success and focus. Other individuals make change and movement so difficult that it is tough not to be caught in the rapids and swept away downstream. Lord, help me be a bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment