Sunday, August 14, 2011

The New Pages of School

The joys of education are varied and deep. I am so thankful that God has led me into a career in education. I have had the privilege over the years to work with elementary students and enjoy the laughter and growth that occurs in those young years. As headmaster of a small elementary school I thoroughly enjoyed overseeing recess (with many games of kickball and hours on the playground); teaching band and general music classes; planning special days and field trips. Most of my days, however, have been spent in secondary education, dealing with the high school program. I have never failed to be amazed at what teenagers can accomplish - their talents and resilience spur them on to achieve spectacular things. I have seen science fair projects that boggle my mind - I do not even understand the titles of some of the projects; I have been part of some fabulous musicals that have taken my breath away as I hear and see young actors and singers perform at such mature levels; I have witnessed acts of service and responses of faith that have not only honored God, but have impacted our community and changed out school. I have also been part of a team of teachers that inspire me with their commitment, encourage me with their enthusiasm, and challenge me with their vision. Education is a great place to spend your life.

One of the things that I enjoy the most is the newness of education. So many jobs seem to be the same day in and day out. Colleagues may change, products may change, assignments may change, but the basic thrust of the organization stays the same. In education every year is brand new. The lesson plan book is filled with blank pages calling for creativity and varied pedagogy. The grade book is new awaiting the achievement of a whole new crew of students. The workbooks have never been used longing for a new owner with a desire to learn. For the student, it is a new start - the grades from last year really don't count...everyone starts with great potential and the the dreams of success. What excitement that can generate...what anticipation and hope for the young people in our halls.

Next week the teachers come... the week after that all the students invade. The summer has been full of preparation and important administrative meetings. My days have been filled with interviews, planning, brainstorming, evaluating, strategizing, and praying. And all the days of summer have had one target - the opening day of a new school year. As an administrator I think I am busier during the summer months than I am during the school year. I have often compared school to an airplane. My job is to get the plane in the air, after that teachers and principals fly the craft. My days leading up to the opening day are filled with teacher orientation, budget meetings, textbook inventories, and re-enrollment issues. Once school starts, I can breath a little deeper until my name is called to address a bump in the flight of the plane.

May we all, as educators and students, write our best words on the new pages of the 2011-2012 school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment