Monday, April 2, 2012

Dr. Ciulla and the Book of You

Last week I had the privilege of listening to Dr. Joanne Ciulla speak on current trends in leadership philosophy and ethics. As one of the founding faculty members of the Jepson School of Leadership Studies at the University of Richmond, Dr. Ciulla teaches courses on ethics, critical thinking, conflict resolution, and leadership in international contexts. Her academic appointments have included the UNESCO Chair in Leadership Studies at the United Nations International Leadership Academy in Jordan as well as appointments at La Salle University, the Harvard Business School, The Wharton School, and Oxford University. She currently holds visiting appointments with the University of Fort Hare in South Africa and Nyenrode Universitit in the Netherlands.

Dr. Ciulla’s research interests have led to many publications – articles and books. Her latest publication is the three-volume set, Leadership at the Crossroads: Leadership and the Humanities. At the University of Richmond she teaches courses on Leadership Ethics, Business Ethics, International Leadership, and Conflict Resolution. She is a gifted communicator as well as an expert in the field of leadership. My trip to Indiana Wesleyan University to hear Dr. Ciulla was filled with solid information and intellectual challenge.

Interestingly, Dr. Ciulla began her workshop with a discussion on corruption. She shared the definition of corruption held by Transparency International – the use of power for personal gain. I googled Transparency International while she spoke, since I was not familiar with the organization. They define themselves as “the global civil society organization leading the fight against corruption, brings people together in a powerful worldwide coalition to end the devastating impact of corruption on men, women and children around the world. TI’s mission is to create change towards a world free of corruption.” (see www.transparency.org/about_us)

I found this definition simplistic and yet profound: the use of power for personal gain. Corruption, whether it is international or personal; whether it impacts the nation or the family; whether it impacts the lives of many or just the heart beat of the individual...corruption is the selfish abuse of power. And all leaders must deal with power. Some level of authority has been granted for every position of leadership.

Dr. Ciulla shared many of the different kinds of power that permeate our human existence. There is positional or legitimate power – the kind of power that is gained with a position held. The CEO has a certain power granted to him/her because of the title on the door and the letters on the business card. Various positions carry various amounts of power – teacher, superintendent, principal, librarian. Then there is expert power – the power that is wielded by what you know intellectually or by what you can do that others cannot. The skill of a surgeon is powerful in one set of circumstances, while the abilities of an auto mechanic reign supreme in another. Being an expert in British Literature can hold a great deal of power unless you are asked to do a statistical analysis on the causes for the fall in enrollment over the past seven years. Lots of other different kinds of power are interesting to consider: the power of the family name; the power of networks; the power of personality; and moral power. The key principle for me was not to determine the kind of power that I have or do not have, but rather to realize with great sobriety that I can use that power for personal gain and thus end up with a life of corruption. Or I can use whatever power God has granted and use it for His glory.

Dr. Ciulla shared three simple questions that quickly brings any leader to the center of ethical decision making: 1) Am I doing the right thing? 2) Am I doing it the right way? and 3) Am I doing it for the right reason? All three must be aligned with positive affirmations or there are problems in the house.

Am I doing the right thing? Most of life is filled with black and white... right and wrong...good and evil. I firmly believe in moral absolutes and universal truth. But sometimes the gray dominates decision making. Sometimes choices are found on the horns of dilemma as some are hurt and some are blessed by the same decision. Sometimes the evidence on both sides of an issue have compelling arguments.

Am I doing it the right way? This is the question that so often crushes me. I may be so convinced that a decision is the right thing to do, but trying to do it the right way is a struggle. I know the organization must stay within the budget, but what is the right way to downsize? What is the right way to cut a program? I know that a particular person is not a good fit for the organization, but what is the right way to release them from the company?

Am I doing it for the right reason? This question takes the leader down into the depths of motivation, attitude, purpose, mission, and emotion. My decision is legal and within my authority as a leader; I have confidence that my plan to execute this decision is solid and appropriate; but my motivation is purely selfish... my attitude is filled with a personal agenda...my purpose is to get even.... my emotions are anger and pride. No one may ever know the reason for such a decision, but you and the Master of Heaven.

Let me end this blog with an interesting thought I jotted down close to the end of Dr. Ciulla's presentations. She referred to the Book of You.

The book of you....

When you are free, you must choose.

When you are free to choose, you are responsible.

Every choice you make goes into the book of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment