Saturday, January 15, 2011

Leaving with Grace


No particular leadership position lasts forever. Sometimes strong leaders stay with an organization for decades; others leave after just a few years. Effective leaders might find themselves with long-term tenures or short-term opportunities to impact an organization. Many factors come to play in determining the longevity of a leader. Although the media declares failures with headlines, very few leaders find their time cut short because of moral or ethical errors. Most move on because of timing, or circumstances, or internal change. Some depart because they feel their effectiveness is over and/or another challenge calls their name. Still other leaders leave because an influential individual within the organization senses that the leader's effectiveness is waning.

But, regardless of the reason, there seems to be a dichotomy in the way leaders leave. Some depart with grace and celebration; others leave with tension and awkwardness. Despite the method and approach of the organization, some leaders have a way of submitting a resignation that reflects maturity and respect. The gracious leader has the ability to know when to leave and how to depart with honor and head held high. I have recently observed some strong examples of maturity and integrity - they have been an encouragement to me.

Early in my career, I left four different organizations. The first departure occurred after just the first year of employment. It was a matter of a bad fit between my gifts and the job responsibilities. As a result of my lack of maturity and experience, combined with a boss that took no time to mentor me, my departure was necessary. The second resulted because of a refusal of the organization's board to approve a direction that I felt God calling me to follow. I needed to leave in order to be obedient to what I knew God was directing me to do. The third resignation was rather complicated with several dynamics, but basically the organization wanted a person with more letters after his/her name. The fourth and final move for me resulted from a false accusation of favoritism, fueled by jealousy and misunderstanding. After successfully working through the accusation and resolving any issues of character, I found that I had lost my passion for the position. In all four of these situations, I moved on with only a few in my inner circle who knew the real issues.

Those involved in the organization always want to know the details behind a leader's departure, but very few will come to know all the real reasons for the separation. A gracious leader will not air the dirty laundry of the company, or the disagreements that resulted in his/her decision to move on, or the pressure placed upon him/her that made a resignation necessary. Others within the organization might see that as dishonest or sweeping truth under the rug. From the leader's perspective, it is carefully withholding a perspective that is not held by those who are moving ahead. Dissension and division serve no one as the organization tries to refocus and regroup.

The wise and gracious organization will not share the reasons for departure either. Tactful statements can be proclaimed in truth and designed to support the outgoing leader without having to point fingers of disagreement and negativism. Total disclosure should be provided to the leader, but the stakeholders need not be informed of every point of disagreement.

Those receiving the news of a leader's retirement, resignation, or replacement need to be careful not to push for details that they really have no right to know. In this society which demands the rights of individuals, sometime we feel that we DO have a right to know all the details. Out of respect for the leader who is moving on; for the leadership that remains; and for the health of the organization, stakeholders should most often honor the official statements as sufficient. The need for confidentiality often prohibits (and rightfully so) some of the behind-the-scenes realities from being discussed by those outside of the circle of those who need to know. Stakeholders need to resist the temptation of prying for all the gory details. If moral failure or illegal activity is involved, then the organization must be careful to disclose a minimum amount of information to clarify its actions and protect future employers from a seemingly positive reference. But stakeholders must be careful to avoid becoming busybodies hoping to pry for truth or, worse, to thrive on the gossip of others.

Leaving is rarely easy, rarely without tension, and rarely without disagreement, but leaving can be filled with honor and grace. Lord, help me to know when it is time to go; help me to leave with blessings and tears of fellowship; help me to leave with grace and celebration.

artwork found at http://www.abanet.org/media/youraba/200712/article05.html

6 comments:

  1. This post definitely brought those tears to my eyes as I thought about those leaders who have passed away, left recently or are on their way out. They have lead with grace, honor, and integrity, focusing on the encouragement of those around them, and have left or are leaving in the same way. They have taught us how to live and serve together and now how to bow out gracefully when the time comes. I, for one, am so grateful for their influence in my life. So grateful! They leave big roles to fill.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said Anonymous! When leaders leave with dignity a true legacy remains; unity continues; and the organization is ready to embrace change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much to be said for not burning bridges behind you. You never regret leaving with your head held high and a good attitude.

    When I left the DCSS family the Lord and some fellow employees challenged me to leave with the right attitude. There were some definite hurt feelings as I was not one of the chosen ones with the new leadership. God had a different plan for me and however He got me on that new path didn't really matter in the end. He can use any situation to His ends--good ends in His Kingdom. When you view situations from His vantage point it's much easier to keep bitterness and anger away and it's much easier to pray for the success of the new leadership

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dr. Rough,
    This is the first time I have read your blog, and am so impressed with this article. You have put into words, what I have never really heard discussed. It is a big elephant in nearly all our lives at some point or points. This was truth well spoken, and is something that needs to be taught, by words and example. I had a wise teacher, who once had said, "Cream always rises to the top." I believe sometimes it might be in a wrong glass, or even others may try to push it back down, or may not be seen as cream by others, but through the test of time, cream shows itself. "Cream" doesn't need to defend or prove itself to anyone, none of us do, but just as you said to have honor and grace. What a simple and profound truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In less than thirty minutes, I am going to meet the pastor of my church and resign from the board. The church focus has become about numbers and money as an organization and not a ministry about growing in Christ and reaching the lost. God used your post to speak to me inregards to bowing out gracefully. Thank you for being His vessel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray that your meeting went well and that God gave you the insight and courage to follow His leading.

    ReplyDelete