Monday, March 5, 2012

Santorum's Visit

I had an interesting experience today. One of the Republican presidential hopefuls, Senator Rick Santorum, came to my school as part of his campaign in Ohio. He spoke in our cafeteria and many of our students were able to hear his message of hope and encouragement. I was invited to sit on the platform and hear his speech. I enjoyed his presentation and found his positions quite interesting. But, I enjoyed even more the activity surrounding the visit.

I was entertained by the various dignitaries trying to impress those around them with their importance. I had been given a seat on the platform… in the front row… right behind the podium (a chair that I would have happily given to someone with more interest than I). As I sat there waiting for the event to begin, I thought to myself how thankful I am not to be politics.

The cameras were all in place, the lights were focused on the stage, the crowd was enthusiastic, the secret service men/women were straight-faced and alert, and mood was electric. I was, however, rather irritated with the media – about half way through the Senator’s message, they crawled on hands and knees in front of the first row in order to get close up photos (the lenses on those cameras could capture the nose hairs of a fly from 50 yards away). I felt they were distracting and rude.

I was fascinated by the secret service personnel. There are somewhat like the guard at Buckingham Palace that are not allowed to smile or interact with people. Their faces mirrored a total concentration on the crowd and the eyes of the agents constantly moved, piercing the multitude for strange movement or unusual gestures.

Prior to Senator Santorum’s address, several individuals provided some words of endorsement. One of the speakers was a sheriff of a neighboring country. The major point in his passionate exhortation was that Rick was committed to protecting our borders… how this sheriff had visited the borders several times and how many of the US residence at the borders are afraid to leave their homes… how we need a candidate who will keep our borders strong. As a sheriff in Ohio, I wasn’t sure if he meant the border between Ohio and West Virginia or between Ohio and Kentucky. I am not trying to minimize the difficulties we have with national border security, I just thought it was strange that a local police official was making such a heartfelt appeal on this topic.

Senator Santorum had many good things to say about the values I hold as important. He shared about family and the need for solid homes in America. He did not give explanation for his family’s absence at the event, although there were four chairs reserved for them on the platform just down the row from where I was seated. His words seemed genuine and his position well founded…I would have just liked to have seen his family at his side.

I was impressed with his words of leadership as he addressed some of the critical issues facing our great land: the Economy and Taxation, Healthcare, and International Relationships. He expounded upon the importance of vision and the leader’s ability to see the realities of the present. He made some promises and announced some plans that sound encouraging and positive.

No campaign speech is complete these days without slamming the opponent. The current President was the topic of negative comments and Mitt was mentioned in the context of his weaknesses. I have heard so much worse in political speeches and the amount of mud and dirt that was slung was less than I anticipated. I appreciate, however, a candidate who shares his/her beliefs, positions, plans and dreams without having to slam the ideas of others.

This is not meant to be a political blog nor am I trying to raise the banner of any candidate in this writing. But, the experience of being part of the event was quite interesting. The school had a difficult decision to make in housing the event. It was not designed to be a political endorsement but rather an exposure of the democratic process to our students. Allowing them to be “up-close-and-personal” with a national figure and to experience a “live” political speech, gave them a memory not soon to be forgotten that made the whole political process personal and relevant. For this, I applaud the school’s initiative.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete