Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Moses the Reluctant Leader Pt 2

God’s call upon Moses’ life and his recruitment for national leadership was initially met with resistance and questions. Following Moses throughout the Pentateuch we see the powerful role he plays in the history of the Jewish people. He is indeed one of the most influential national leaders in the history of man. But his initial response to the call of God was filled with doubt and concern.

Moses’ inaugural inquiry centered on the authority of Pharaoh and his fear of man. God responds with two promises: the promise to be with Moses in Egypt and the promise that Moses would bring the people out and worship God on the very mountain where he was standing. Moses responds to these promises with a second question found in Exodus 3:13,

“Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you and they ask me ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” Again Moses points to man…this time it is the Israelites. If he can get past Pharaoh, what about the people? What if he stands up in front of the entire nation and they don’t believe him? What if he falls on his face? Maybe he won’t be received as the conquering hero – maybe they will reject him. Moses doesn’t ask his question in a self-centered way, but I suggest that this is the underlying issue. The people are asking “me” and what shall “I” tell them. In other words, “how am I going to convince the people that I am the real deal and that I can be trusted?

In Old Testament culture, knowing someone’s name was a sign of relationship with and even authority over that person. To ask for God’s name is a way of asking for some proof that Moses has been given divine authority in this situation. Although the text is not plain here, I have often wondered if Moses is really asking this question for himself or if he is actually anticipating the challenge of the Israelites.

In either case God is patient and provides an incredible answer to this potential leader. God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.” (Exodus 3:14-15)

This wonderful name of God says it all – The eternal God who was, and is, and is to come does not have beginning or end. In the beginning God….I AM who I AM. No earthy name can capture his authority and nature. Not mere human can understand the depth of his personhood. His ways are above our ways, his mind and will are transcendent. He is the Creator, Sustainer, and Center of the universe. He is Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent God. He sees all and he loves us; He knows all and He understands us; He feels all and He has compassion on us; He is perfect and offers us atonement. God is the great I AM.

Moses only asks for the name of God, but God continues with a statement of His faithfulness in trials and promised deliverance. In Exodus 3:16 God says to Moses, "Go, assemble the elders of Israel and say to them, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob--appeared to me and said: I have watched over you and have seen what has been done to you in Egypt.’” And then a great promise is given to Moses in Exodus 3:18: "The elders of Israel will listen to you.”

Not only will the elders listen to Moses, but God’s deliverance under Moses’ leadership will result in the plundering of Egypt’s wealth. Exodus 3:21-22: "And I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward this people, so that when you leave you will not go empty-handed. Every woman is to ask her neighbor and any woman living in her house for articles of silver and gold and for clothing, which you will put on your sons and daughters. And so you will plunder the Egyptians."

Moses’ second question focused in words on the Israelites but in attitude it again reflects the fear that Moses had regarding the response of man. God’s response powerfully answers Moses’ words and addresses his attitudes as well. It is the I AM to whom the people will listen and it is the I AM that will provide the strength and courage to proclaim the message to the nation of Israel.

Photo found at www.michelangeloexperience.com/2011/01/michelangelo-moses-estelle-m-hurll/

No comments:

Post a Comment