Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Dean Team

David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Scottie Pippin, Michael Jordon, Clyde Drexel, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Christian Laettner, Chris Mullen, Charles Barkley, and Magic Johnson - these twelve men made up what is possibly the greatest basketball team ever assembled. They were the 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team. This team defeated its international opponents by an average of 44 points per game and earned the gold medal by beating Croatia during the Barcelona Games. This group of incredible athletes was nicknamed the "Dream Team"- the team that every coach would love to have; the team that every country would want to represent them; the team of all-stars that no opponent could possibly defeat.

When I accepted the position of Academic Dean at my school system, I wanted to form a small group of leaders that could pray, and plan, and collaborate together. I selected four strategic individuals to help provide insights and guidance for the educational program of the school system. As we began to brainstorm ideas for the name of our band, we considered “The Educational Services Team”, but that was the name of a previous group that might have caused some confusion within the organization. We also thought about “The Academic Group, ” but it was not very satisfactory to the team members. We landed on “The Dean Team.” For me it as a great play on words. I thought at first, however, that it might sound rather prideful since I was the Dean. But the more I considered it, the more I saw the emphasis on the Team not the Dean (Dean was only a play on the term Dream.)

Now we might not have the super-star status of the 1992 Olympic Gold Medalists and we don't defeat every opponent by 44 points, but the members of the team are very special people. I have so enjoyed meeting together and watching a plan become reality as we strive to improve the excellence of our school.

There are four members of the team beside myself: the Administrative Assistant to the Academic Dean, The Director of Curriculum and Instruction (C&I), the Secretary of the Director of C&I, and the Assistant Academic Dean. There are five individuals that make up a basketball team, but that is not the reason for the number on the Dean Team. I wanted a balance between administrative roles and support roles. Often the administrators meet together and the clerical assistants have no input into the decisions and direction of the organization. In most ministries of which I have been part, the secretary (the administrative assistant, the executive secretary) plays such a key role in keeping the institution running and represents the organization in multiple ways. I wanted our support personnel to have a vital voice in setting the direction of our school.

My administrative assistant is absolutely incredible. I have known her for over 40 years. She can accomplish more in one day that most people can in a week. She is one of the most organized individuals I know and her work ethic is amazing. Her keen intellect and spiritual sensitivity make her such a valuable asset to the team. Cathy possess a great eye for detail and catches many of the loose ends that I would trip over. I have a deep and growing respect for her and I love her thoroughly – she is my wife! I count it such a privilege and blessing to be able to minister with my wife every day in a ministry that changes lives.

God has prepared the Director of Curriculum and Instruction in perfect ways for such a time as this in the life of our school system. Our curriculum is old and in bad need of revision. In order to bring our courses of study into the 21st century, I knew that I needed an individual who was current with educational theory and practice; who had a passion for change and excellence; who possessed a vision for raising the academic program of our school to higher levels; who felt called by God to take on the challenge of reformation; and who had the relational and communicative skills to share her vision with others. Mitzi is exactly that person. She has been researching and studying curriculum design for years. She is a thesis away from her Master's Degree in Curriculum from Cedarville University. She is diligent and committed to change. It is exciting to watch her craft the plan, and work the plan, and enable others to accomplish the plan. We are on a three-year schedule to completely revamp and revise our curriculum through a innovative design.

Her right arm is Jana. She not only assists Mitzi in the huge task of curriculum revision and textbook adoption, but she also tracks all of the certification of school personnel. What a critical job this is, as we move toward excellence. As we raise the expectations of our written curriculum, so we need to elevate the excellence of our living curriculum – our faculty and staff – those who deliver the written materials with love, grace, mercy, skill, talent, humility and professionalism. Certification is just a paper recognition of continued preparation and competency, but it is a powerful recognition all the same. Jana serves with such a kind spirit and a genuine desire to minister to others. Her perspective, as a parent and as a professional, provides such vital input into our discussions and decisions.

The final star on my team is the Assistant Academic Dean. He and I have worked together for many years. He is one of the greatest men I have had the privilege to meet – he is a man dedicated to truth; devoted to integrity; committed to service; and follows after his Savior with his whole heart. And in addition to all of that, Mark is my friend. He shares in the many roles of the office of dean. Mark coordinates the International Student Ministry, the short-term missions trips, the transportation details of the school system, the finances involving auxiliary funds, and the supervision of the campus sites (just to delineate a few of the responsibilities that fill his plate). I respect his character, admire his insights and discernment, and enjoy his great sense of humor.

What a great team! What a joy it is to minister with these people everyday. As I grow as a leader and as we move forward as a school system, I look forward to arriving at my office every morning.

And there is more. I work with six principals that keep the grass roots watered, cultivated, mowed, fertilized and even manicured. Then there is the special education department that thrives with freshness and creativity. And I cannot forget the senior leadership team with the 30,000 foot view of the future filled with enthusiasm, support, and empowerment.

But enough for now... more in coming posts. Can you tell that I love what I do? Thank you, God, for opening so many opportunities for me to work with great people.


Photo found at www.warriorsworld.net/2011/07/15/forgotten-dream-team/

No comments:

Post a Comment