Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Year's Resolutions Revisited

We are half way through the seventh week of 2012. New Year's Eve is a distant memory; all the College Bowl games are in the books and I am already looking forward to next season; even the Super Bowl has come and gone for this year. It is day 45 of the new calendar year...and life is great. This winter in Ohio has been incredibly mild. I ran in short-sleeves on February 1st! Instead of the typical 5 days of school cancellations due to snow and slippery roads, we have not even had a delay (I am not sure who is more upset – the students or the teachers).

Today was somewhat of a milestone for me. On January 1, I set four New Year's Resolutions (that I was willing to share with others). One of those involved a goal of running between 500 and 550 miles this year. Today I reached 100 miles! This is well ahead of schedule. The weather has been so nice that I have been able to run much more than I had anticipated. With sub-zero temperatures and several inches of snow on the sidewalks, the normal Ohio February makes it impossible to run on a consistent basis. The first 15 days of February have been fantastic for a jog around Springboro.

My second resolution involved my weight. I have experienced the roller-coaster of weight gain and weight loss over the years. After coming back from a great hike in the Grand Canyon this summer, I was determined to get a grip on my weight and try to bring some stability to my diet and exercise. I started the year at 162 lbs, which is more than acceptable. My resolution is to keep that weight somewhere between 160 and 170. Of the four resolutions, this is the one that I am most concerned about – I am concerned that I will fall under the 160 mark. Today, I weighed in at exactly 160.0 lbs. My diet is well balanced and I try to monitor my food intake very carefully. The running has resulted in such a good calorie burn that I am needing to be careful not to lose too much – what a great problem that is!! I've never been there in my adult life.

The third resolution, was to blog at least three times per week. I am right on schedule, but I know there will be some time crunches in the days ahead. I enjoy writing so I hope that I can maintain the discipline. Survivor is starting, so I should have some good fodder for leadership (or the lack thereof) reflections. The Biggest Loser continues to provide insights as well although I have not had much time to reflect on the season – a summary blog of the first 7 weeks is coming in the next few days.

The final resolution involves the goal of reading 2 books per month or 24 books this year. To date I have read seven. This resolution has really motivated me to spend time every day reading for pleasure. I have read two John Grisham novels (The Confession and The Appeal). Both volumes were interesting reads. The first pulled my mind into the leadership possibility of civil disobedience for the sake of a spiritual call; the later screamed the message of greed and the depravity of man even in the light of human tragedy. Both painted an excellent contrast between the the compassionate and the self-centered; the altruistic and the materialistic; the seeker of truth and those blinded by power/authority.

The New York Times Bestseller leadership book, Switch, by Heath and Heath was a book that my son, Ben, gave me last year. I started it in 2011, got distracted, and failed to finish it. So I started over again this January and am I glad I did. This was an excellent book regarding change in an organization. The three parts to change – the rider, the elephant and the path – are such a great visual reminder of the process. I am still working on the elephant!

A very interesting biography by Mosab Hassan Yousef called Son of Hamas gave me some interesting insights into Islam, life in Middle East, and God's sovereign hand on the author's life. In contrast to this modern-day, nonfiction book, I picked up the classic, To Kill a Mockingbird (by Harper Lee). I remember seeing the movie several years ago, but I had never read the book – what a special work. It made me laugh and get angry; it made me think and shake my head in disbelief. I am sorry that I had not selected this book years ago.

I have really liked Francine Rivers' works for several years (I know she is a favorite among women reader and men usually don't admit to her appeal, but I find her writing both enjoyable and realistic). I read her book, Her Mother's Hope. I was not disappointed – she did such a nice job painting a picture of relationships and the difficulties of trials and misunderstandings. There is a sequel to this book that is on my list for some other month this year. The final book so far this year was The Protector by Dee Henderson. It is like part four of a series, but I didn't find that to be a huge hindrance to understanding the story. It was an enjoyable read about firefighters and their personal relationships. The strong Christian message in the this fictional story makes it easy to recommend to others. I am currently reading another book by Dee Henderson (Before I Wake) although I will take a break from her style for a while after this second volume.

If you are at all interested in keeping tabs on my progress in these four areas, the little box at the top right of my blog will reflect an almost daily update. 2012 is going to be a great year! Stay determined and keep focused on your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment