Thursday, February 23, 2012

Motivated in the Morning!

It is exciting to get ready for work each day. I love going to the office. When I get up in the morning, I look forward to embracing the challenges of my day. It is exciting to be a vital part of an organization that impacts the lives of so many. Our school is celebrating its 50th year of existence next school year (2012-2013). The school system has produced over 4,000 graduates – these men and women are doing some incredible things all over the world. I don't directly impact the students much any more, but I work directly with those who influence those students every day. My office is a vibrant place filled with meetings and and discussions. My conference table serves as the spot for planning, evaluating, sharing, and praying together on a variety of topics. During my first full year as the academic dean, no two days have been the same. And I love that!

I first entered the Christian school movement 30 years ago in order to be with students. Throughout my career I have loved being with teenagers and seeing them mature. Working along side of them, observing their talents, talking about their dreams, and helping them think through many of life's issues provided so much motivation in my life. I have always been impressed with how much high school students can accomplish – whether it singing/acting in a musical, or painting on a canvas, or shooting a basketball, or presenting a science fair exhibit – some high school students blow me away with their talent and skills.

It takes an incredible amount of energy and time to keep pace with a high school program. As age began to take its toll in my life, I found that I did not possess the energy level required to maintain the necessary involvement. I used to stay up late and yet get up early - ready to conquer the world just about anytime. I thrived on attending ball games and concerts and programs and then leading devotions the next morning. I even had the opportunity to spend some all-nighters at school getting ready for the year to begin – finalizing on schedules and getting all the handouts ready for the first day of school. Now if I hear the old clock on the wall strike ten at night, I am in real danger of turning into a pumpkin.

God has been so faithful to me. He has allowed me to move into a position that greatly impacts the program and policies of the school without the draining schedule of constant activity. I am able to use my brain much more than my body. I miss my face-to-face time with students, but I know that I am much more effective working with principals, teachers, and other school leaders. I have lost much of my relevancy with students as teens tend to listen to the younger voices of the day. It is so great to see some of our younger faculty members build strong bonds of rapport with our high school students.

God has transformed my passion for impacting students into a love for working with adults. I enjoy engaging adults as we collaborate together to change our world with the good news of Jesus Christ. I have the privilege of working with very talented people. I stand in amazement as I watch teachers strive for excellence; as I see principals providing outstanding leadership for their grade-level programs; and as I observe the heart of the senior leaders and feel the pulse of the ministry.

During the next few postings, I would like to share a little insight into the people that fill my life with support, creativity, dedication and integrity. God has blessed the school with some incredible people and one of my major goals is to stay out of their way and let them run with the ball. So far I have enjoyed empowering people and watching them get excited about their programs. I enjoy being a facilitator and a cheerleader and a listener and a supporter. I have been given some wonderful colleagues and I hope to develop and maintain professional relationships with each of them as we grow together as life-long learners.

I have a special group of five (including myself) that named themselves the Dean Team. As the academic dean, I have asked these four colleagues to meet with me once a week to review the educational program of the organization. In my next blog, I would like to share some of their talents and their abilities in bringing about significant change within the school system They are amazing people and I value them greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment