Friday, May 11, 2012

The Biggest Loser – Final Wrap-up


The theme for season 13 of The Biggest Loser was “No Excuses!” This season was a bit of a disappointment for me personally because of the personal, petty drama, the lack of support between contestants that I have come to expect, and the childish attitudes of some of the players. However there were some good leadership insights to consider from this reality show. Let's take a quick look at 11 of the excuses that the show identified in conquering weight loss and apply them to the leadership journey.

Excuse #1 “I don't know how to eat.” Understanding a healthy diet involves a balance of the right foods and the right portions of those foods. Food selection and preparation are keys to a balanced diet. So in leadership, a proper life balance is imperative. Maintaining a healthy equilibrium between work, marriage, family, church, and leisure is a major challenge for an effective leader. A work-addiction can be as devastating to leadership as a food-addiction can be for those trying to lose weight.

Excuse #2 “I don't have time to eat healthy.” Within the realm of leadership the blank can be filled in with a variety of applications – I don't have time to be collaborative...I don't have time to delegate...I don't have time to prepare...I don't have time to discuss. Time is often a leader's worst enemy. Although I have found that it is most often that I choose not to take the time to ...you fill in the blank. I choose what to prioritize and what to delay. I select the important and I decide what to put on the plate of procrastination.

Excuse #3 “I can't lose weight without a gym.” The contestants workout in a wonderfully supplied facility filled with state-of-the-art exercise equipment. Take all the equipment away and the players must find substitutes in other places (hikes, bikes and other creative ideas). For the leader, thinking outside of the normal schedule and the regular agenda takes creativity and innovation. Doing business outside of the status quo demands skills outside of the gym.... leadership often requires doing the ordinary in extraordinary ways.

Excuse #4 “I'll never reach my goal.” Discouragement and negative thinking can cripple a leader. The power of a self-fulfilled prophecy can carry a talented leader into the jaws of failure. A goal is rarely reached with the “I'll-never-reach-my-goal” attitude.

Excuse #5 “I can't lose weight on my own.” Dependence on others is a great strength when it comes to body life and the power of collaboration. However, the ability to make a stand, the determination to stand alone if necessary, and the reality of a personal faith independent of all others are the foundations of Christian faith. Philippians 4:13 states, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”

Excuse #6 “I'll wait until after the holidays to lose weight.” Procrastination is the pothole of dieting. The best plans for losing weight are abrogated with the promises to begin mañana. So it is with leadership. To put off responsibility until tomorrow can be the trap door that removes the effectiveness from the ministry.

Excuse #7 “I lack self-control.” Both weight loss and leadership demand discipline. Capturing the flow of chaos and providing direction for the river of activity, brings a leader closer to a life of organization and productivity. Gaining control of one's choices and making decisions that reflect self-discipline are key to effective leadership. The Bible is clear that self-control is really being Spirit-controlled. One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is self-control (Gal 3:23).

Excuse #8 “I can't get out of my comfort zone.” Even the leader that is energized by adventure, can find him/herself in the rut of comfort. Things are good, things are easy, things are stagnant, things are fat. If we are floating on the air-mattress of comfort in the swimming pool of success, we are only a moment away from being over our heads in change. The comfort zone is the danger zone and leaders must be alert and on their toes every day.

Excuse #9 “I don't believe in myself.” This is a Biggest Loser fallacy. Self-confidence, self-reliance, self-worth and self-centeredness are major foci of the weight loss program. A more Biblical perspective would encourage us to believe in the power of God, to view ourselves as instruments in His hand, to rely upon His grace, His strength, His love, and His transformational energy. The effective Christ-follower doesn't believe in himself but has complete confidence in the promises and power of the Savior. I can do all things....through Christ who gives me strength.

Excuse #10 “I can't lose weight on vacation.” Losing weight is tough on vacation because we are outside of the normal routine. The foods that usually grace the table are replaced with the goodies of temptation – the delicacies of restaurants, the smörgåsbord of the cruise, or the specialties of family and friends. Leaders need a vacation to relax, unwind, and refresh. On the other hand, the traits of good leaders are not bound by time and location. The personal integrity and authenticity of a leader are always present. The high ethical behavior and wise discernment in decision making never take a vacation.

Excuse #11 “Exercise is boring.” Exercise can be boring but it doesn't have to be. Variety and innovation can make exercise both fun and exciting. Leadership can be boring but the leader usually has the capacity to infuse excitement into his/her leadership role. I find myself so pumped up to go to work each day because every day is different and filled with experiences that challenge me and develop my dependence upon God. If you are where God has called you to be as a leader, boring is probably not the term you would use to describe your ministry.

The Biggest Loser – no excuses for losing weight! Leadership Cache – no excuses for poor leadership!

No comments:

Post a Comment