Sunday, May 13, 2012

Honoring the Faithful


I loved watching television and the movies as a young boy. I remember being glued to the screen (the big silver one or the little living room tube) and thrilled to watch the stories of good over evil play out before my eyes. One of my boyhood heroes was the Lone Ranger. I was amazed how the masked man and his Indian companion, Tonto, could discover and defeat the evil enemy in just 30 minutes. The humble ranger never stayed around for the praise of man, but slipped away only to be seen on the far off hill top waving good-bye atop his magnificent steed, Silver.

How often in life, however, the good guy doesn't win. The current newspaper and the nightly newscasts highlight the evil world in which we live. These daily commentaries on the depravity of man rarely underscore the righteous deeds of godly people. I guess the reality of it all is that bad news sells and good news lacks that sensational quality that interests the imagination of the public.

It was so refreshing to move from the evening news to an evening event held at my organization. Every year we have an appreciation banquet for the faculty and staff of the school system. The menu was great, the music (harp for dinner listening and a string ensemble for entertainment) was beautiful, and the fellowship around the table was most encouraging. But the highlight for me was the acknowledgement of faithful service. Individuals were honored for each five year milestone they reached. Five years....10 years...15 years...20 years...25 years...30 years... and even 35 years! I thoroughly embraced the time of celebration. Each recipient had prepared a short statement of remembrance or challenge. The depth of love, commitment, dedication, and perseverance that the honorees shared was inspiring.

There was one man who had reached 35 years of service to the school system. He graduated from the school in the 1970s, graduated from college in three years and immediately return to our school to join the faculty. He began as an English teacher, but his great love for the Scriptures soon led him into the Bible department. He has excelled over the years, writing much of the school's Bible curriculum and serving as the chairman of the Bible Department. What a privilege it was for me to be in attendance. Paul was not only the Bible Department Chair when I arrived at the school 24 years ago, but he quickly became one of my closest colleagues. He was always so supportive of me as an administrator (even when I made foolish, rookie-type mistakes) and I sought out his mature wisdom many times over the years.

In our younger days, Paul and I were part of a faculty basketball group called 911-basketball. This rag-tag group of faculty (and some friends) would congregate at 6 am in the school's gymnasium in an attempt to stay in shape and enjoy some fellowship together. We jokingly dubbed it 911-basketball because we didn't call a foul unless we had to call 911 as a result. We had great fun and I loved playing on Paul's team. He had such a sweet left-handed jump shot and such a positive attitude toward the game. In addition to the fun in the gym, I had the joy of observing Paul as a classroom teacher. His approach to truth and his smooth pedagogy totally engaged my mind and spirit. His rich vocabulary and his deep understanding of God's word made him an amazing instructor.

As I heard the words of others sharing the impact that Paul has had on their lives, I realized that at this banquet the good guy won. I also realized the Paul had joined my hall of heroes along with the Lone Ranger as one of those humble forces that defeats the power of evil and makes the world a better place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment